Wednesday 30 April 2008

Fast Food Post Production Image


Here is another artist who uses food photography to construct a miniature world made up of food but in a way that the eye does not recognize straight away
In this photograph Gayle Chong Kwan has created a world totally made out of food.
This architecture of food is reminiscent of the Colisseum in Rome. The fact that the structure is made out of pasta is indicative of the Italian connotations


p 41

I was looking into the way in which other food photographers have represented the food they photographed - especially those photographs concerning meat products.
I looked at Chris Turner's work in "Critical Review Magazine" - the annual edition for 2007.
This photograph shown above is entitled "Split Skin"
The food is here represented in a way that is by no means flattering and the photograph has deep profound meaning. It is possibly posing the question of ethics as to whether or not it is right to eat meat products at all.
This is the style in which I shall photograph

For one of my final images I intend to demonstrate exactly what a poor quality hot dog sausage is made from. I will photograph it in exactly the same way in which a photographed the milk bottle,
Photographing the sausage and replacing the middle section with artificially constructed texture of rotting meat and gristle cleverly placed using opacity and feathering
Clearly demonstrating my point in a very simple and decisive way

Here you can see a rough version of the final texture which is comprized of three images which I hsave selected to use for different key area - for example the bone. Created by using the clone tool at lower opacities to merge the three different textures into one.
For this photograph I used wireless flash to bring out the highlights and shadows to create a very disgusting vew of the carcass. I highlighted the gristle and showed it falling into darkness.

Here are the three images that I am using for the texture of the meat product
I have done some post production on these photographs to bring out the right colour tones to represent them in a way that should be very repulsive to the audience.

No comments: